Will you take the Journey?

Journey with a first time novelist as she logs all of her fears, frustrations, and goals into one blog. Take the time to give her your feed back... and help her create something truly worth reading.

Saturday, August 1, 2015

The characters... are not speaking to me

When the characters in my novels don't speak to me I feel so lost.
It's like losing a part of you and looking for a way to bring it back.

When I am sad they leave, they don't want to sit in an unimaginative brain.
Or maybe they don't want to sit and listen to me argue with myself in a constant tug of war with my thoughts.  I am always fighting with thinking too much.   Maybe they don't want to talk to me because I am always fighting them... with excuses not to write.

"I can't write today, I have too much to do"... cop out I hear them say.  If you wanted to write about us, you would just do it.

"Life is just getting in the way"... screw you.  Life isn't getting in the way, you are getting in your own way.

"Iv'e gone months without writing before, everything will be fine"... you're a liar... you live for the spoken word and here you are refusing us to be heard.

Then they leave, they are gone as quickly as they were there.  I don't realize how much I miss them until I can't hear what they have to say.  Particular scenes go unwritten for months.  Character sheets are incomplete.  Beginnings, middles, and ends are not completed.  All because I refuse to listen to the voices in my head.

With that said... how do I get them to come back?  How do I get them to understand that I am not trying to neglect them?  How do I get them to understand that I love them and I miss them terribly?

Voices in my head come back! I want to write your story now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Followers